Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Aidan - WIP 5

I haven't gotten as many lunch hours or evenings to work on this as I would like, so it's moving along slowly but surely. I finished the subject of Aidan's interest - a snail that is hanging upside down on part of the bird bath. I've never drawn a snail before, so it was a challenge but fun. I actually picked up a snail the other day while the boys were playing with it and studied its shell to get an idea of how I might draw one. Another challenge with the bird bath was trying to make its texture different - it is aluminum, I think, and somewhat smooth on top but rougher on the sides. I also wanted it to stand out from Aidan's mouth, since it's overlapping. I hope I did OK.

1 comment:

Elgin Subwaysurfer Bolling said...

Your work is inspiring. I have one criticism. PLEASE Eliminate fro the side of your blog the words, "I am not an artist" Idont know if this is misguided humility or just plain blindness on your part! What "is" an artist, anyway? someone who has gone through a lot of formal training and has a certificate that "proves" they're "good?" Art school may help you to make industry contacts, and even provide you with space to create a given piece of work, But in the end you're still left with your two hands, your brain and that blank sheet you have to put an image on.
Please check out my site at
www.subwaysurfer.blogspot.com and add me to your links