Saturday, April 21, 2007

Animation School Lesson 4 - 2 legged characters-full body

Here is lesson four from Preston Blair's book (Why did John K choose to skip "Body Built from Rounded or Circular Forms" and "The Skeleton Foundation"? I guess I'll have to go back and do them myself, because Tom and Jerry are my favorites).

This lesson was an extension of what we learned in the first two lessons - that basic forms and construction lines need to be drawn first, followed by basic forms and then details that should wrap around the form to give it a three-dimensional feel.

I hope you like these. I haven't done the Photoshop comparison because I don't have Photoshop on my computer, but I think they're pretty close, so I'm happy with them.

Please let me know if there are any areas I should improve upon!





ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive: Meta: The $100,000 Animation Drawing Course- Lesson 4

4 comments:

Jack Ruttan said...

They're beautifully done. Don't have the originals next to me (but I have that book!)

But I think the line could be a little more livelier. That might come when you're doing your own characters.

Stephen said...

Thank you, Jack. I appreciate your comments. Can you explain what you mean by making the line livelier?

Seantron said...

Dude, I have to agree. . . your stuff is top notch. I have already done a comparision, and I think you've done a great job.

I don't understand the livelier line thing as well. I think it's already quite lively.

Thanks for the nice comments on my blog as well. Now that I know someone is watching, I definitely will post more examples. You as well, okay? Because it's always nice feeling like you aren't doing this in a vacuum.

Your new animation bud,
Sean

Stephen said...

Thanks a lot, Sean. I'm counting on you real artists to tell me where I can improve, so don't hold back! I'm almost finished with my latest lesson and will probably post it this weekend.